New Economic Policy for Terra Classic: Set of 4 Proposals to Align Incentives

Hi @dfunk ,

I was more asking since I remembered there being a distinction between the stability fee tax and the tobin tax. I went ahead and looked them up again, and they are different. Although, I will say that the stability tax is not very clearly defined in the columbus-5 documentation, although a little clearer in the columbus-3 documentation.

Here is what I found:
TL;DR:

• Stability Fee Tax: Treasury module based tax, that is capped, on all transactions that are “stable coins” that are not swaps.

• Tobin Tax: A Market module based fixed fee added to swaps between “stable coins” to prevent front-running.

• Spread Fee: A Market module based minimum adjustable fee, that is adjusted upward during times of volatility, to maintain a constant product between the fiat value of the LUNA v1 pool and the size of the “stable coins” pool, and is added to swaps between LUNA v1 and “stable coins”.

Longer Explanation:

Thankfully the Fees page defines Tobin Tax and Spread Fee much more clearly:

Just sharing that since it took a while for me to piece together the Stability Fee Tax (what it actually was) - and where it really was defined in the documentation. It seemed like it was somewhat wrapped in obscurity other than in the code, a passing note, and one proposal discussion. Passing it along if helpful (if not, just disregard).

On the naming, I heard one person say we should instead call it a community buy back program (rather than burn tax).

But, really I just noticed what you mentioned about the Tobin Tax, so I went back to check up on it again. Feel free though to let me know though if I have missed anything in my thinking (I would be thankful).

I hope you have an awesome day today :slight_smile:

1 Like