Terra Ecosystem Revival Plan

There’s been several community and validator groups discussing launching a fork of the Terra chain to make the ecosystem whole from the UST depegging event. Wanted to offer my perspective on how this should be done.

As of this time, there are still several billion dollars worth of UST, and the value of Luna token has fallen to essentially zero. Even if the peg were to eventually restore after the last marginal buyers and sellers have capitulated, the holders of Luna have so severely been liquidated and diluted that we will lack the ecosystem to build back up from the ashes. While a decentralized economy does need decentralized money, UST has lost too much trust with its users to play the role.

So what remains? While UST has been the central narrative of Terra’s growth story over the last year, the Terra ecosystem and its community is what is worth preserving.

• We’ve built up one of the largest and most vibrant developer ecosystems in crypto, with some of the smartest minds in the world working on products with the best UI/UX
  • Terra Station has a large install base, with million+ users across the world
  • Although in distress, strong brand recognition and a name that almost everyone in the world will have heard about

The Terra community must reconstitute the chain to preserve the community and the developer ecosystem.

Validators should reset the network ownership to 1B tokens, distributed among:

• 400M (40%) to Luna holders before the depegging event (last $1 tick before the depeg on Binance should be reasonable), bLuna, LunaX and Luna held in contracts should also be recipients, minus the Terraform Labs account at terra1dp0taj85ruc299rkdvzp4z5pfg6z6swaed74e6. The new chain should be community owned. Preserving decent ownership of the network in its strongest believers and builders is important.
  • 400M (40%) to UST holders pro-rata at the time of the new network upgrade. UST holders need to be made whole as much as possible
  • 100M (10%) to Luna holders at the final moment of the chain halt – last minute marginal luna buyers should be compensated for their role in attempting to provide stability for the network
  • 100M (10%) to the Community Pool to fund future development.
  • All Luna besides the third tranche should be staked at the network genesis state.
  • The network should incentivize its security with a reasonable inflation rate, say 7%, as fees will no longer be enough to pay for security without the swap fees.

Call to action

Why does this redistribution make sense? UST holders need to own a large share of the network, as the network’s debt holders they deserve to be compensated for the tokens they have been holding to the end.

Terra needs a community to continue to grow and make its blockspace valuable again – the only way to do this is to make sure that token holders before the attack commenced, the most loyal community members and builders, stick around to keep providing value.

It is a hard balance – and no easy answers in redistributing value within the network. But value must be distributed to allow the ecosystem to survive, and in its current state it will not.

The future of the Terra Network

The rallying cry for the Terra community has always been “a decentralized economy needs decentralized money”. This is an exciting vision, and while UST has not been successful the Terra community will find ways of iterating on the idea at some point in the future.

But the priority now should be to preserve this amazing ecosystem and to make as many users and builders as possible. Terra should first preserve its L1, and the community should gather to discuss decentralized money once the dust has settled.

I hope the community can achieve speedy consensus on how to revive the Terra ecosystem. I’ll always be here.

571 Likes

what will happen with luna that was on CEXes? in the very last moment it was even impossible to withdraw it to wallets

144 Likes

I bought on bsc wormhole do happens to my luna? I am down 80% lol

19 Likes

Hi Do. I hope you’re doing okay.

Please check out this proposal to use the remaining funds as a tiered refund pool to lower level UST holders. I believe it’s the best way forward.

Thank you.

Edit: I’ve reviewed your proposal. I can’t help but feel like it comes off as trying to put a band aid on a dam.

My primary questions:

• Okay, we fork the network. Now what? Why would value come back? UST doesn’t work as intended. Anchor and Mirror broke. LUNA’s name is destroyed forever. Where would the liquidity come from?

• How can you possibly propose giving 40% to old LUNA holders and 10% to new holders? How is that at all commensurate considering new holders got billions/trillions of LUNA tokens at less than pennies on the dollar?

• Most importantly: where are the LFG bitcoins? How many are left? What happened to the market maker loan deal?

And on a more personal level, although you don’t have to answer this - do you feel you have a responsbility to process some refunds to UST holders with the hundreds of millions of dollars you personally enriched yourself with through the LUNA machine?

390 Likes

I suppose in this case the wormhole team can be coordinated with to distribute.

76 Likes

You can use on-chain/exchange trade history to distribute tokens to buyers at every price point accurately. The Most Rational Path Forward for LUNA (3 Simple Steps) - #12 by Cubics

50 Likes

Rubbish idea. Should just buy and destroy the excess Luna tokens.

332 Likes

what about aUST holders?

37 Likes

what about wluna on eth?

19 Likes

If I had and still have say 1k stacked on anchor I will receive 400usd ?

9 Likes

What about the UST on Curve pools in multiple chains?

10 Likes

Can’t we use the $1B bitcoin collateral to buy back all UST at $0.1 then start fresh?

88 Likes

Yeah what happened to the luna that held in CEX?

50 Likes

I disagree with this distribution. Rewards pre-depeg whales and those that abandoned the peg who used defenders as exit liquidity. How on earth is it that those deploying capital to defend the peg should be punished whilst others ran for the door appropriate? Those distributions need to be fixed, seeing as people defending were the true believers. Those that ran away are gonna dump it to recoup losses whereas those who fought to the end are gonna be punished for doing so.

338 Likes

So, do I will only receive 40% of my UST? with a loss of 60% in usd?
It’s not fair this

54 Likes

I hold UST on binance, what should I do? My money is more than 90% negative. Please don’t ignore my message. I use my family money and made my mother sad I want an answer to tell my mother.

102 Likes

I appreciate your comment, I’m on your side bro

7 Likes

I bought LUNA after the LAST halt. What will happen to me? Will I be in the 10%?

46 Likes

I bought it from Cocoin when it was at $5 and lost $35,000. Will I also benefit. Or my money is gone

47 Likes

Will Terra resume activity? I have a number of collateralized assets that I would like to reclaim

6 Likes