[CommunityPoolSpendProposal] Burn Pre-Col5 Community Pool

Because its the most liquid Luna pool on Terraswap and UST might be the only exit liquidity available in a crisis.

If my thinking here is off-base I am open to correction.

It simply seems plausible to me that a very deep LUNA-UST pool would help brake a bank run from the outset, since the liquidity on offer would help absorb Luna volatility and downward pressure that would arise from newly minted and market-sold Luna used for peg maintenance.

edit: the LP fees on this pool are also pretty good, which can be used to deepen the pool, be distributed to Luna stakers or burned (whatever makes the most sense).

Is there a way to make a multi-sig for the control of funds, you could assign keys to the trusted community members? No offense, but that’s too much wealth for a single person, no matter if that person is named Do Kwon or not.

Then the option would be to vote against the proposal, and re-initiate once you’ve formed a multisig of trusted community members. I’m fine with that outcome, doesn’t make a difference.

It is automated - I just hold the key for unforseen emergency situations. If there are trust issues, i urge you to vote against the proposal.

2 Likes

Personally, I’m completely fine with @dokwon being the custodian of the key. Whether or not multisig should be established could/should be the matter of a separate vote. It’s out of the context for the proposed LUNA burn. After all, the generated UST will be returned back to the community pool.

2 Likes

I was hoping all fees went to me in the LUNA-UST pool on terraswap. Oh well

Great to read the different viewpoints and impressed by @dokwon’s involvement, too.

I am relatively new to Luna, but I remember watching Do speak in 2019 and quoting John Graham, founder of Y Combinator, start-up accelerator to Stripe, AirBnb, Coinbase, Twitch and Reddit, amongst many others.

'A start up is a company designed to grow fast … The only essential thing is growth, Everything else we associate with start up follows from growth.

It seems Do’s view has not wavered and the the only issue the community seems to have is how much to burn.

One thing is certain: there is going to be one hell of a fire! :fire: :fire: :fire:

@Crypto_Inquisitor while I like where your head is at, I think what @dokwon was referring to with:

You’re not supposed to use LUNA-UST liquidity during a bank run - why would you ever do this

is that if there is an underlying issue with Terra that is forcing a bank run, you’re not likely to run to the same native assets. You’d likely want to move to BTC, ETH, USDC or USDT (or some other asset that is perceived to be stable outside the Terra ecosystem).

However, I agree with your general sentiment that putting the community assets to work as a productive treasury asset (similar to Olympus) would be prudent and would likely further dampen downside volatility.

Specifically if it is protocol owned value that is providing deep liquidity in other assets to act as a hedge against a bank run & de-pegging event. Ideally the LP rewards on this liquidity are redistributed back to LUNA stakers in the form of LUNA in order to increase the attractiveness of LUNA as an asset. I believe this is starting to be doable with liquidity ramping up on DEXs.

This is not dissimilar from what you and I were discussing over here: Proposal: add currencies as Luna reserve - #25 by ekryski.

In any case, maybe we move that discussion to the new thread here: Towards protocol owned liquidity on Terra

Getting back on track, I’m in favour of this proposal for many of the reasons people mentioned. I would prefer to see less than 90% converted to UST as well, I think closer to 50/50 would be prudent so that if LUNA is needed for other purposes, fees aren’t incurred for converting UST back in the future. Specifically if LUNA is needed to help backstop Anchor or liquidity providing on DEXs.

That being said “burn” isn’t really the best term for what is happening here, we’re really just converting LUNA to UST and “locking in” the value of LUNA now so that UST can be used more productively for ecosystem growth, which is a huge plus. :raised_hands:

In addition, having a huge amount of UST held by the community itself should help to maintain the peg as well.

Personally, I’m completely fine with @dokwon being the custodian of the key. Whether or not multisig should be established could/should be the matter of a separate vote. It’s out of the context for the proposed LUNA burn. After all, the generated UST will be returned back to the community pool.

I too would also like to see a multi-sig on wallets that aren’t dedicated TFL wallets, mainly for the sake of the “community funds” living up to its name and further decentralization. It looks like a proposal for something to that effect passed here a few months ago, but there has been very little update on the status thus far.

Right now I think it’s kind of a moot point though. Do Kwon and TFL still dictate a ton of the success of the project and have more than enough capital themselves. Based on every interview and public comment I’ve seen, Do doesn’t seem to be motivated by money (like me) and he’s public enough that running off with $3B would kill all his credibility and frankly, be super hard to get rid of. So while possible, running off with the community fund would be suboptimal game theory play and if a rug pull was intended that could have happened a few times already in Terra’s history.

However, @dokwon to protect yourself from regulatory scrutiny it would be prudent to have non-TFL dedicated addresses use a multi-sig for manual backstopping going forward. :wink:

That’s my 2 cents. I’ll be making a last minute vote “yes” if I think this is going to pass. If it fails, I propose we set up a multi-sig first and reduce the amount burned.

1 Like

After reading this thread: Ozone Insurance Mechanism v2.1 - #41 by fusion, I take back my position. Coming later into the Terra ecosystem than others, I didn’t realize that the overage of LUNA in the Community Fund that is intended to be “burned” (ie. converted to UST) came from Seignorage and was meant to be properly burned the first time around (but wasn’t).

By converting this to UST to fund an insurance protocol we’re double counting the LUNA. I see the argument for wanting it to be a productive asset for growth but it really should just be properly burned and taken out of circulation.

I mean sure, the market may not even be aware of this issue and “burning” ~$5B worth of LUNA to mint UST and make it productive may have a net overall positive effect on LUNA price action, perception, and the ecosystem in the future, but it feels a bit dirty…

I’m not sure where I sit on the proposal now. I’ll likely be abstaining (not that my votes will move the needle a lot).

If it fails, I propose we actually burn the LUNA and then use some of the treasury assets to diversify the assets held by the protocol so that those assets can be used in DEXs to create a productive treasury.

Definitely passing. c’est la vie. :man_shrugging:

Revisiting this with the recent arb exploit that triggered liquidations on Anchor - would deeper liquidity pools for core assets help reduce issues by increasing the required capital to influence the exchange rate?

There is no arb exploit to speak of, its just arbing. More so, the arb had zero effect on the price the Oracle reported as the Oracle prices are reported from centralized exchanges, not decentralized exchanges on Terra.